Thursday, February 08, 2007

Out, dog! Out, cur! Thou drivest me past the bounds of maiden's patience

The Hourglass sweater is beatin' me down. After my previous misstep, I dutifully - and very good naturedly, I might add - frogged, recast, checked and rechecked (and checked again) that the join was not twisted, and then knit for 2 DAYS to find it twisted AGAIN! But, because either I have Great Faith or that I am now living within un-, sub- or supernatural forces, I will keep the curs'd sweater on the needles and hide it until my dear sister comes to visit in a couple of weeks. I can only hope that she can salvage it in some way that does not include frogging. Otherwise, it's back to making scarfs and other rectangular items. And, no, I don't have a picture of the sweater. I just couldn't force myself to do that again.

By the way, aren't Shakespeare's plays just perfect fodder for curse words? I've never allowed myself to use *real* curse words, but sometimes my feelings are too vulgar for the words I am allowed to utter. In those cases (see above for prime example) I actually find myself proclaiming like a mad woman some Shakespearean insult. Admit it now; don't you just want to yell this to someone sometimes: "[Thou hath] not so much brain as ear wax" (from Troilus and Cressida). Or perhaps this? "Thou idol of idiot-worshippers" (also from Troilus and Cressida). And, when I'm totally exasperated, I just give up and utter, "I am amazed, and know not what to say." (Be assured, I don't actually do this verbally when I'm with other people. I'm not *that* loony). If you're looking for Shakespeare verbal assaults of your own, may I recommend you start with A Midsummer Night's Dream? Or, if your nerves can stand it, try browsing the Shakespearean Insulter.

Finally! Shakespeare for everyday language!

No comments: