Monday, May 21, 2007

I'm so random

Wow, I feel like part of the cool kids club now that I was tagged by AuntieAnn for the 8 random facts game. Though I know that just about every other blogger in the knitiverse has already completed this, I choose to believe that my involvement in this just means that "You like me! You really like me!"

No worries, I don't have an acceptance speech, just the List.

1) In 5th grade I was obsessed with Daniel Boone, Annie Oakley (and to a lesser degree, Davey Crockett) and wore a "coonskin" cap all year. I thought Daniel Boone was the coolest guy ever but I couldn't get his wardrobe and decided it was acceptable to wear Davey Crockett's hat (the coonskin cap) instead and that it wouldn't be such a horrible historical inaccuracy on my part. And no, you're not going to see a picture of me in that hat.

2) When I start to read a new novel, I like to flip to the the last 1-2 pages for a quick peek. I don't really read those pages, just a really quick skim. I'm not even really sure why I do that. Perhaps to quickly memorize any names of people that might make it to the end of the story?

3) I always do this with magazines too. No matter the magazine (or even scholarly journal), I'll start reading the last pages and slowly make my way - article by article - to the beginning. I've tried to change and read magazines the "proper" way at the beginning, but it never lasts and it never feels like I really read it until I start at the end.

4) Anne of Green Gables was wrong; I think it's better to be smart than pretty. Of course I'd like to be both, but if I had to choose, the best compliment I could receive is that I'm witty. ... Witty and Clever. ... The two best compliments I could receive are that I'm witty and clever. ... And Smart. ... Three. ... The three Amongst the compliments I would like to receive are that I'm witty, clever and smart. *

5) I'd like to learn how to build furniture someday. Actually, I want to learn how to build a house, but that's not likely to happen.

6) In high school, I broke my right ankle when I started in the first game of my first year on the varsity soccer team. The entire season I could only kick the soccer ball around with my left foot until I got the cast off. To this day, when I play goalie (my favorite position), I can play equally well with both feet but can only drop kick with my left foot.

7) I've lived in California nearly all my life and I never learned to surf. Doesn't this break some sort of law here? I really ought to learn one of these days.

8) This last one is for Nancy: Whenever I need to convince someone that I'll be safe walking to my car through a dark and lonely parking lot I'll always say, "I'll be fine, I have brothers." Or, when I need to defend myself against someone (like Nancy), I'll say, "Don't mess with me, I have brothers." As if the fact that I have brothers means that I was trained in how to fight and defend myself. Silly girl.

Whew, I must look like a loon. Also, since I am apparently the last blogger to finish this, I'm not tagging anyone else ... unless my dear sister wants to start her blog finally. :)

*Apologies to Monty Python for this butchering of the Spanish Inquisition skit.

** Edited to add: A Fistful of Stitches, Heather, and Kristin are hereby tagged.

2 comments:

AuntieAnn said...

Cool! Thanks for playing! Interesting stuff.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Erica, from saving me from having some sort of complex!