Friday, May 25, 2007

Handicrafts

Do you all read NonaKnits? Her posts are always full of pretty knits and useful information, but today I was intrigued by her latest post.

In computer programming -- a modern day handcraft -- there is a clear distinction between a hack and an elegant solution. A hack gets the job done, but is clumsy, lacks finesse, and is best kept under the rug. An elegant solution, on the other hand, is simple, concise, and encourages an "ah-ha" from the viewer. Either way, you know it when you see it. (NonaKnits)


See, this is sort of how I've viewed my participation in knitting, sewing and other "domestic" activities. I've always enjoyed the engineering factor of imagining a finished project, to creating the designs, to cutting/sewing (or knitting) the item. It's amazing to take unrelated raw materials and make something entirely useful and beautiful out of them. To me, I don't sew/knit because it's a womanly or domestic thing to do. I sew because I like to engineer things. If I had a garage full of power tools, I would be building furniture or painting stuff. Sewing/knitting is my version of engineering that's suitable for indoors rental apartment-style living.

Well, these ideas deserve more thought than I have time right now, but I just wanted to get this conversation started (even if it is only a conversation with myself).

And, because I just can't have two posts with no pictures, here you see the first scarf I ever finished. All in seed stitch, this required absolutely no math skills at all, but I did study how the knitted fabric was created with each stitch. Anyway, have a great weekend ladies! I'm off to celebrate Memorial Day weekend (a US holiday) !

1 comment:

AuntieAnn said...

In her new book, the Yarn Harlot talks about the magic in knitting. That when strangers don't "get" it, she wants to throw skeins of yarn at them and say, "look! you can't wear yarn! I took string and made a garment!". Or something like that.

It is the magical transformation that hooks us, I think.